Short stay visa for tourism, business or family visit in the Schengen area

1. What is a "Schengen visa" ?

A Schengen visa, also called "C" visa, is a short stay visa (up to 90 days by semester) valid for the 25 States member of the Schengen agreement :

Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark Estonia
Finland France Germany Greece Hungary
Iceland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg
Malta The Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland

Therefore, you don’t need to apply twice when you travel to 2 or more different Schengen countries.

  • If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Consulate of that specific country.

  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply at the Consulate of the country of your main destination (that is the main purpose of your trip), or the country where you will be staying the longest.

  • If you intend to visit several Schengen for the same amount of time, you must apply at the Consulate of your first entry.

  • If France is NOT your main destination (destination where you will stay the longest, or country of first entry if you are spending the same amount of time in several Schengen countries), your visa application will not be received at the French Consulate.

Duration of stay : you may stay up to 90 days in the "Schengen space" with such a visa.

2. Do you need a visa to visit France for tourism or a business or family visit ?

First, note that if the purpose of your trip is NOT tourism, business or family visit you may be required to get a visa before your departure (please check with us at

The information listed below is only valid for holders of ordinary passports. If you hold a diplomatic, official, service or special passport, please e-mail us at

  • YES, you DO need a visa if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a US Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") :

Afghanistan Albania [1] Algeria
Anguilla [2] Angola Armenia
Azerbaidjan Bahrein Bangladesh
Belize Benin Bhutan
Belarus Bermuda [3] Bolivia
Bosnia Botswana Burkina Faso
Burma Burundi Caiman Islands [4]
Cambodia Cameroon Cape Verde
Central Africa Chad China
China - Hong Kong [5] China - Macao [6] China - Taiwan [7]
Comoros Congo D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)
Cuba Djibouti Dominican Republic
Ecuador Egypt Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea Ethiopia Fiji
Gabon Gambia Georgia
Ghana Guinea Guinea Bissau
Guyana Haiti India
Indonesia Iran Iraq
Ivory Coast Jamaica Jordan
Kazakhstan Kenya Kirghizistan
Kosovo Kuwait Laos
Lebanon Lesotho Liberia
Libya Macedonia [8] Madagascar
Malawi Maldives Mali
Marshall Islands Mauritania Moldova [9]
Mongolia Montenegro [10] Morocco
Mozambique Namibia Nauru
Nepal Niger Nigeria
North Korea Oman Pakistan
Palestine Papua New Guinea Philippines
Qatar Refugees Russia
Rwanda Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia
Senegal Serbia [11] Sierra Leone
Somalia South Africa South Sudan
Sri Lanka St Thomas Sudan
Surinam Swaziland Syria
Tadjikistan Tanzania Thailand
Togo Tunisia Turkey
Turkmenistan Turk and Caicos Islands [12] Uganda
Ukraine [13] United States of America (see footnote) [14] Uzbekistan
Virgin Islands (British) [15] Vietnam Yemen
Zambia Zimbabwe

  • NO, if you hold a passport issued by a country NOT listed above, you do not need any visa to enter France for tourism, business or family visit.

However, please note that whatever your situation is, your passport must be valid for at least 90 days after your date of departure from the Schengen area and it must have been issued less than 10 years ago.

Moreover, regardless of whether or not you need a visa to enter France, French territories or the Schengen area, you need to bring certain documents with you to be able to present them to the Border Police. See the section

3. How to make an appointment?

For security reasons, all applicants, except children under the age of 6, have to appear personally at the Consulate General of France in Miami.

The visa section is open to the public on an appointment basis, with no walk-ins allowed.

Make an appointment by clicking here

To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox 1.0 and higher
- Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
- Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
- allow pop-ups

IF YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR CONFIRMATION RECEIPT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Simply show up on the date and time of your appointment .

Applicants who arrive late at the Consulate, or without all the required documents will be turned away.

No appointment can be made by phone or by e-mailing us. If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling your appointment.

Make sure you bring all the required documents (originals and copies) when coming to the Consulate General.

4. Processing time

Processing time depends on your citizenship :

It can go from 1 week for most nationalities up to 15 days if you are a citizen from :

Afghanistan Algeria Bahrain
Bangladesh Burma Burundi
Congo DRC Egypt Indonesia
Iran Iraq Jordan
North Korea Lebanon Libya
Mauritania Morocco* Nigeria
Pakistan Palestinians US Refugee travel doc
Rwanda Saudi Arabia Sudan
Syria Tunisia* Yemen
United Arab Emirates Vietnam Zimbabwe

*7 days

Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.

5. Requirements

NB : your passport must be valid for at least 90 days after your date of departure from the Schengen territory, even if you do not require a visa and it must have been issued less than 10 years ago.
Please provide the original documents + 1 copy of the following documents : passport, US Green Card or Visa and I20, paystubs, attestation d’accueil, birth/marriage certificate, diplomas.

  1. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.

  2. Processing fee

  3. One application form (in English, French, Spanish) filled out completely and signed by the applicant (please read carefully the explanations.

  4. One ID picture glued/stapled onto the application form (white background, full face, no glasses nor hat, closed mouth)

  5. A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid US visa with valid I-94 / valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document.
    We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders who are not resident of Caiman Islands, Bahamas or Turk & Caicos Islands. They must apply in their country of residence.

  6. If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.

  7. Proof of socio-professional status :
    • letter of employment in the U.S confirming your salary, hire date, position and dates of vacation (business registration if self employed)
    • and your last 2 paystubs
    • or letter from your school or university confirming your enrollment status, attendance and expected graduation date

  8. Proof of financial means : your last 2 bank statements (the statements must show enough available funds to cover your trip, or enough available credit if you provide a credit card statement).

  9. Your travel itinerary : you MUST BOOK your airline ticket but do not purchase until the visa has been approved.

  10. Proof of medical coverage abroad : a letter from your insurance company (NOT simply a copy of your insurance card) stating that you have international medical coverage, emergency evacuation and repatriation for a minimum amount of $50.000. If the letter does not explicitly mention evacuation/transportation and repatriation, as well as an amount of $50.000 or more, it won’t be accepted.
    If your insurance company does not provide this letter, you will have to purchase an international traveler’s insurance such as TravelSafe, Seven corners, Axa Assistance, Medex, Europ Assistance, IMG, Travelex, Insuremytrip… and bring with you the letter detailing your coverage and amount (or Visa Letter).

  11. Proof of accomodation :
    • Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay in the Schengen states
    • or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France (+ COPY)
    • For a business trip: please also provide a letter from your employer in the US or from your host company in France stating that you are in France on behalf of the company, giving the name and address of the contact person(s) in France and guaranteeing full responsibility for expenses, lodging, and return to the United States

  12. If the applicant is under 18 years old :
    • notarized copy of his/her birth certificate
    • notarized authorization from both parents allowing their child to travel to France.
    • if the parents are divorced : certified copy of divorce decree stating that the parent accompanying the child(ren) has full custody of the child(ren).
    • note : at least one legal guardian must be present at the time of the application.

  13. If you are the spouse of a citizen of the European Union : copy of your spouse european id and copy of your mariage certificate

  14. In case that you do not want to pick up your passport in person, a self-addressed prepaid envelope from the US POST OFFICE (Express or Priority Mail) - FEDEX or UPS .

    Please stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out as follows :

Leave blank
Your full name
Your address

6. Important information

  • The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.

  • Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.

  • Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.

[1Except for biometric passport holders who do not need a short stay visa. A visa cannot be delivered to non-biometric passport holders.

[2Only for "BDT" = British Dependent Territories passport holders

[3Only for "BDT" = British Dependent Territories passport holders

[4Only for "BDT" = British Dependent Territories passport holders

[5Except S.A.R. who do not need a short stay visa or BNO passport holders.

[6Except S.A.R. who do not need a short stay visa

[7Except for ordinary Taiwanese passports which contains the identity card number of the holder. In this case, a short stay visa is not required.

[8Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[9Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[10Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[11Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa, unless they hold a “Koordinaciona uprava” passport.

[12Only if you are a British Dependent Territories Citizen (BDTC).

[13Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[14Only for diplomatic or official passport holders or journalists on a work trip.

[15Only if you are a British Dependent Territories Citizen (BDTC)

Last modified on 19/10/2017

top of the page