Applying for a French visa in the USA
Visa applications for a French visa submitted in the USA are processed by the Consulates general of France in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New-York, San Francisco and Washington DC.
• Make sure to submit your application early enough before your trip. If you apply less than 2 weeks before the start of your trip, your visa might not be ready in time and you might have to postpone your trip. You cannot apply more than 3 months before the start of your trip.
• You can apply at the French Consulate only if France is your main or only destination in the Schengen area, ie the country where you will spend the most time. If you spend equal amount of time in different countries (ex : 2 nights in France, 2 nights in Spain, 2 nights in Italy), you should apply at the Consulate of the country of first entry (ie the first Schengen country you will enter).
• If you want your passport mailed back to you, please provide an envelope (USPS, FedEx, UPS) with your name, address, postage and a tracking number.
• Please bring to your appointment photocopies of : passport (identity pages), green card/US visa, I20, as well as the original documents.
• For the passport picture, please respect the following requirements : uniform background, no hat, no glasses, mouth closed.
• Fees (click here for details) can be paid by cash or card (all debit or credit cards except Discover).
- For general information and for preparing, submitting and tracking your application, log on to France-visas, the official website for visa application to France. France-visas is a single portal with all the information you need process and help you every step of the way (preparing the application, entering details, submitting and tracking the application).
- For further information regarding visas, please call 1-212-784-6157 or 1-347-252-3055.
Do I need a visa ?
First, use “Visa wizard” to check, based on your situation, whether you need a visa and if so, what type. The wizard will also tell you what documents must be enclosed with your application, along with the relevant fee.
Complete your application online
Once you have confirmed that you need a visa, you can complete your application on our online portal. You will be asked to create a France-Visas account, which you will need for each step of the process.
Submit your application to the visa centre
Once you have completed your online application, all you have to do is submit it to your local visa centre. France-Visas will provide you with all necessary information on how and where to submit your application.
Track your visa application
Once your application has been submitted, track its progress and see how and when you can collect your passport and how to prepare for your trip to France.
Waiting times for appointments and for processing applications will vary depending on your nationality and the time of year.
Users are therefore asked to submit their visa applications well in advance of their departure date.