Short stay visa for domestic staff

ATTENTION: please read this important announcement before preparing your file:

From April 5th 2010, the implementation of the new Schengen code for the issue of visas took effect. On this occasion, we would like to remind all visa applicants that each file must be presented in exact duplicate (original of each document with their photocopies, as listed on the website). The Consulate will, in no circumstance, make any photocopies and files can no longer be completed at a later stage. All the files presented will be carefully examined by the Visa Department. However, we wish to emphasize the fact that if you do not produce all the requested documents (originals with their photocopies), the visa will be denied.
Therefore, reapplying will mean the rescheduling of an appointment and full repayment of the visa fee.
No exception will be made.
For this reason, we do advise you to prepare your file with the utmost care in order to avoid any delays.

1. What is a "Schengen visa" ?

A Schengen visa, also called "C" visa, is a short stay visa (up to 90 days by semester) valid for the 25 States member of the Schengen agreement :

Austria Belgium Czech Republic Denmark Estonia
Finland France Germany Greece Hungary
Iceland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg
Malta The Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland

Therefore, you don’t need to apply twice when you travel to 2 or more different Schengen countries.

  • If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Consulate of that specific country.

  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply at the Consulate of the country of your main destination, or the country where you will be staying the longest.

  • If you intend to visit several Schengen for the same amount of time, you must apply at the Consulate of your first entry.

  • If France is NOT your main destination (destination where you will stay the longest, or country of first entry if you are spending the same amount of time in several Schengen countries), your visa application will not be received at the French Consulate.

Duration of stay : you may stay up to 90 days in the "Schengen space" with such a visa.

2. Do you need a visa to visit France ?

First, note that if the information listed below is only valid for holders of ordinary passports. If you hold a diplomatic, official, service or special passport, please e-mail us at

  • YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a US Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") :

Afghanistan Albania [1] Algeria
Angola Armenia Azerbaidjan
Bahrein Bangladesh Belize
Benin Bhutan Belarus
Bolivia Bosnia [2] Botswana
Burkina Faso Burma Burundi
Caiman Islands [3] Cambodia Cameroon [4]
Cape Verde Central Africa Chad
China China - Hong Kong [5] China - Macao [6]
China - Taiwan [7] Comoros Congo
D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre) Cuba Djibouti
Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador
Egypt Equatorial Guinea Eritrea
Ethiopia Fiji Gabon
Gambia Georgia Ghana
Grenada Guinea Guinea Bissau
Guyana Haiti India
Indonesia Iran Iraq
Ivory Coast Jamaica Jordan
Kazakhstan Kenya Kirghizistan
Kiribati Kuweit Laos
Lebanon Lesotho Liberia
Libya Macedonia [8] Madagascar
Malawi Maldives Mali
Marshall Islands Mauritania Micronesia
Moldova Mongolia Montenegro [9]
Morocco Mozambique Namibia
Nauru Nepal Niger
Nigeria North Korea Oman
Pakistan Palau Palestine
Papua Philippines Qatar
Refugees Russia Rwanda
Solomon Samoa Saudi Arabia
Senegal Serbia [10] Sierra Leone
Somalia South Africa Sri Lanka
St Lucia St Thomas St Vincent
Sudan Surinam Swaziland
Syria Tadjikistan Tanzania
Thailand Togo Trinidad & Tobago
Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan
Turk and Caicos Islands [11] Tuvalu Uganda
Ukraine [12] United Arab Emirates Uzbekistan
Virgin Islands (British) [13] Vanuatu Vietnam
Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe

  • NO, if you hold a passport issued by a country NOT listed above, you do not need any visa to enter France for tourism, business or family visit.

However, please note that whatever your situation is, your passport must be valid for at least 90 days after your date of departure from the Schengen area and it must have been issued less than 10 years ago.

Moreover, regardless of whether or not you need a visa to enter France, French territories or the Schengen area, you need to bring certain documents with you to be able to present them to the Border Police. See the section

3. How to make an appointment?

For security reasons, all applicants, except children under the age of 6, have to appear personally at the Consulate General of France in Miami.

The visa section is open to the public on an appointment basis, with no walk-ins allowed.

Make an appointment by clicking here

To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox 1.0 and higher
- Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
- Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
- allow pop-ups

IF YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR CONFIRMATION RECEIPT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Simply show up on the date and time of your appointment .

Applicants who arrive late at the Consulate, or without all the required documents will be turned away.

No appointment can be made by phone or by e-mailing us. If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling your appointment.

Make sure you bring all the required documents when coming to the Consulate General.

4. Processing time

Processing time depends on your citizenship :

It can go from 1 week for most nationalities up to 15 days if you are a citizen from :

Afghanistan Algeria Bahrain
Bangladesh Burma Burundi
Congo DRC Egypt Indonesia
Iran Iraq Jordan
North Korea Lebanon Libya
Mauritania Morocco* Nigeria
Pakistan Palestinians US Refugee travel doc
Rwanda Saudi Arabia Sudan
Syria Tunisia* Yemen
United Arab Emirates Vietnam Zimbabwe

*7 days

Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.

5. Requirements

- 1 application form. The form must be completely and legibly filled in with black or blue ink, signed by the applicant and dated.

-  1 recent passport photo, passport size - 2" x 2" (4,5cm x 4,5cm) and showing the full face, the forehead hairline and ears on a white background.

- Passport or travel document (+ 1 copy of the identity page and the validity of the passport) valid for at least three months following the last day of your stay in France. The validity of your passport cannot exceed 10 years from the date of first issuance. Make sure the passport has at least two blank pages left for visa purpose. Only these pages can be endorsed with the visa. Amendment pages can in no way be used for visas.

-  For non-US citizens : A U.S.A. residency card (Green Card) or I-551 stamp, or a valid USA visa with I-94 (if F1 visa also present I-20 form), or an Advanced Parole, which must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the last day in France. (+1 copy)

- Flight reservation (+ 1 copy), complete itinerary or round trip ticket with confirmed dates. Open tickets are not accepted. Do not purchase tickets until the visa has been approved.

- Proof of accommodation (for the whole length of your stay) (+1 copy)
Confirmed reservation from the hotel(s) which must be sent directly to you and not to the Consulate in France and in the Schengen countries to be visited, confirming your reservations for each night you will spend in France and the Schengen States (we do not accept confirmations),

Hotel vouchers confirming your booking for a tour with names and addresses of all hotels with the number of nights stay in each (+ 1 copy),

if you are staying with family or friend(s) you must present a certificate of board and lodging "Attestation d’Accueil", which has to be obtained by your relatives or friends at the city hall ("Mairie"). The original needs to be stamped by this consulate to be valid and should be presented upon arrival in France.

- Financial guarantee (+ 1 copy)
Proof that you have at least 100 U.S.Dollars per day for each day you will stay in the Schengen countries. To be submitted in the four following forms:

- your last 2 monthly bank statements (the statements must show enough available funds to cover your trip, or enough available credit if you provide a credit card statement).

- your last 2 paystubs (+ 1 copy),

- A letter from the employer (+ 1 copy) stating that he/she will be financially responsible during the whole stay of the applicant in France, plus a photocopy of the employer’s latest bank statement (+ 1 copy)

- A statement from the employer (+ 1 copy) in which he/she declares that he/she will pay all the necessary fees with the "U.R.S.S.A.F" upon arrival in France. Please also provide a photocopy of the employer’s passport.

The original (+ 1 copy) of the French work permit, form "CERFA n° 15188*01" , duly approved and signed by the French Labor Department (DIRECCTE)

- Medical insurance
A letter from an insurance company (+ 1 copy) stating that you will be covered for any medical, hospitalization and repatriation expenses (the three words must be written) for at least $50,000 during your stay in the Schengen countries. If the letter does not explicitly mention evacuation/transportation and repatriation, as well as an amount of $50.000 or more, it won’t be accepted.
If your insurance company does not provide this letter you will have to purchase an international traveler’s insurance such as TravelSafe, Seven corners, Axa Assistance, Medex, Europ Assistance, IMG, Travelex, Insuremytrip… and bring with you the letter detailing your coverage and amount (or Visa Letter).

- The work permit approved by the French Labour Department "CERFA n° 15188*01"(Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Concurrence, de la Consommation, du Travail et de l’Emploi) (+ 1 copy)

- Procedure in order to obtain the work permit from the DIRECCTE .

Procedure to be followed:

Well before the date of departure, the employer must complete and sign one copy of the form "CERFA n° 15188*01" and send it by email to the relevent DIRECCTE. (For Saint-Barthelemy:

The employer must also include to his/her work permit application:

- a request for a work permit for his employee, indicating the address where they will be staying in France or in the DOM/TOM
- a copy of his employee’s passport and a passport photograph
- a written statement by the employer agreeing to register with the "U.R.S.S.A.F" ("Union de Recouvrement des Cotisations de Sécurité Sociale et d’Allocations Familiales") in Strasbourg .

- How to register with the U.R.S.S.A.F in Strasbourg

For your information only. This final formality is not requested for the visa application. Only a letter of agreement from the employer is required at the time of the visa application.

The registration with the U.R.S.S.A.F (Union de Recouvrement des Cotisations de Sécurité Sociale et d’Allocations Familiales) must be made by the employer in order to pay social security contributions. This procedure is completed by e-mail, only to the following address:, whether you stay in a French Département or in an overseas Département.

First of all, it is necessary to send to the U.R.S.S.A.F in Strasbourg the form number SE 404-02 which you can obtain from the following American administration:

Department of Health and Human Services (D.H.H.S)
Social Security Administration
O.I.O Totalization P.O.
P.O. BOX 17049
BALTIMORE, MD 21235 7049
Fax: 410 966 1861

[1Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[2Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[3Only British Overseas Territories Citizen without the right to abode in the UK.

[4For Camerounese citizens willing to enter Germany, please note that you must present a valid Camerounese Identity card.

[5Except S.A.R. who do not need a short stay visa.

[6Except S.A.R. who do not need a short stay visa.

[7Except for ordinary Taiwanese passports which contains the identity card number of the holder. In this case, a short stay visa is not required.

[8Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[9Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[10Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[11Only British Overseas Territories Citizen without the right to abode in the UK.

[12Except for biometric passports holders who do not need a short stay visa.

[13Only British Overseas Territories Citizen without the right to abode in the UK.

Last modified on 14/07/2017

top of the page